- June 3, 2017
- Posted by: dr.diaa
- Category: hair restoration
Once you have made the decision to have hair transplant surgery, you are probably jumping ahead to thinking about your post-op plans. You most likely cannot wait to see the faces on your friends and acquaintances when they notice your new full head of hair. In the meantime, you have to go through the surgery and take care so that your hair transplant will be successful. Hair Transplant preoperative instructions will be one of the basic aims you should think of.
Hair transplant preoperative instructions
You should follow these preoperation instructions carefully after a hair transplant. The full procedure will take a day, so you should plan to stay this time in the hospital.
The following instructions should be carefully followed before and after a hair transplant or scalp procedure. If you are unclear about any of the instructions, please contact the clinic.
This procedure will take a full day. Please plan on being here all day. The length of the procedure is determined by a number of grafts, how well the procedure is going, blood pressure, if there is unusual bleeding or graft popping, etc. This is why it is important to follow pre op instructions.
PRECAUTIONS 2 WEEKS BEFORE PROCEDURE
- The patient must stop any medications, supplements, vitamins or other prescribed medications. Especially, those medications that contain ibuprofen or aspirin, other herbs like garlic oil or Gingko Biloba, vitamin E. The reason behind stopping such medications is that they increase the risks for bleeding. Consequently, these medications increase the period of recovery and make it hard for the transplanted follicles to recover.
- The time of the operation may lengthen if the bleeding during the operation lasts for a long time. The patient should ask his pharmacist about any over the counter medications that cause bleeding. As a result, all cold, allergy and flu medications contain ibuprofen or aspirin.
- Vitamin C is a major factor that reinforces the healing and recovery process. The patient should take vitamin C tablets three times a day.
- Avoid sunburn and sunbathing because it can cause superficial burns to the skin, affecting the entire process.
- You should be in touch with the center or clinic regarding any prescriptions you are already taking or will take in this period.
- You should leave your hair growing until it reaches 2.5-3 cm in the area of the back of the head. The doctor will not recommend this in hair transplantation by FUE.
PREOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS ONE WEEK BEFORE
- The patient should quit alcohol one week before and after the procedure. Alcohol increases the opportunity of bleeding during the hair transplant operation.
- Give up smoking and all nicotine one-week preoperative. Nicotine may cause constriction of blood vessels. This constriction of the blood will make it difficult for oxygen to reach the site of the operation.
- Stop taking ibuprofens and naproxen of all kinds. They may cause bleeding and lengthen the recovery time.
- Your doctor will review your health history and will give you all the instructions about all the prescribed medications.
- If the patient takes any medication for blood pressure, chest pain, asthma, kidney, liver or diabetes, it will be important to revise these cases with the doctor.
- The patient should stop any hair growth medications or topical solutions such as Rogaine, Minoxidil, and Finasteride.
- The patient should stop color his/her hair one-week before the operation.
- You should stop any physical exercise for a week before the hair transplant operation. These exercises such as bodybuilding, weight lifting, and other strong exercises.
BE COOL AND REST NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- Wash your hair with a special shampoo or another mild shampoo that the doctor will prescribe. This will keep your scalp clean and prohibit it from any infection.
- Do not wash your hair or apply hair products the day of the procedure. Ask your doctor about how to wash your hair after the surgery.
- Keep your hair away from any chemical or modified hair products on the day of the procedure.
- Be sure you have all the prescribed medications that your doctor asks you to have on the day of the procedure.
- Be sure you have picked up all of your prescription medications and arranged for transportation.
- One of the hair team will call you to arrange everything about your arrival and to confirm the time of the surgery.
- You should keep relaxed and away from any anxiety and any physical tiredness.
NO FEAR SURGERY ON THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE
On the day of the procedure, the center or the hospital will do all the arrangements to welcome you. They will provide you with all the data about the steps of the surgery. You will have lunch there, but before you should let them know any food allergy or any restrictions. You will have some light painkiller and sedation a short time before the operation. This sedation will let you relax and help you pass the time of the procedure quickly.
The medical center will provide comfortable clothing, which not needs to pull over the head. Consequently, you should leave any valuables at home. We advise not to bring any reading material or computer because you will not use them.
Additional preoperative instructions to consider
- You should leave your hair growing until it reaches 2.5-3 cm in the back of the head. This may not be required in hair transplantation with (FUE).
- You should use certain shampoos with approved brands. These shampoos should not contain harmful ingredients such as formalin.
- Avoid hair coloring and straightening chemical substances in the three days before the operation.
- It is best to avoid sprays of hair, gels, hair oils, and vaseline of all kinds after the operation until the first week.
- Hair should be washed daily.
- It is preferable not to smoke before and after the operation at least during the week of the operation.
The patient must follow all the preoperative instructions of the hair specialist strictly. FUE & FUT hair transplant techniques are sophisticated and any thoughtlessness may cause complications. These complications may affect the results of the operation and the donor area of the patient.
Hair transplantation is a cosmetic procedure and is not fully surgical, as it is only a transfer of hair from one place to another. There is no need to fear or worry about the procedures followed in the process. Because these simple procedures and preoperative instructions you should follow will help you get the best results. They will help your doctor also to achieve the desired goal of the process.
Do not forget that the process of hair transplantation is an integrated process that combines the experience of the Center. Please do whatever you want so as not to spoil what the whole team is trying to provide for the excellent results they are accustomed to offering to their clients. These pre op precautions have to be followed by and integrated with post op instructions to maintain your expected results.